The 2014 RMFW Writers Retreat
March 16-21, 2014
Table Mountain Inn, Golden, CO
The 2013 writers retreat was a smashing success! Twenty writers came together September 22-26 at Table Mountain Inn in Golden, Colorado, to focus on their writing, share their work with other writers, and make new friends. Such creativity and camaraderie!
So when, you ask, is the next retreat?
RMFW is thrilled to announce that the next retreat will be March 16-21, 2014, once again at the Table Mountain Inn.
How do I register?
Registration will open November 15. Watch this page for the link to the registration page to go live that day!
How many people can come?
Attendance will be limited to the first 30 who register.
Will there still be a retreat in September, after the Colorado Gold Conference?
No. Moving forward, the retreat will likely be every late winter or early spring, opposite the conference.
What’s new for the March 2014 retreat?
- An extra day! Check in Sunday night, check out Friday morning.
- Registration flexibility! The option to attend two, three, or four days of the retreat–whatever works for you!
- A Thursday-afternoon workshop with Agent Kate Schafer Testerman of KT Literary.
- Heartier breakfast-buffet choices (with protein!).
How much does it cost to attend the retreat?
We are pleased to introduce flexible registration options. Attend for two days (minimum), three days, or all four days, and pay only for the days you attend.
Note: The workshop with agent Kate Schafer Testerman will be Thursday afternoon, March 20, and Ms. Testerman will be staying for the catered farewell banquet that night, so keep that in mind when deciding which days you’d like to attend.
- Attend for two days: $190
- Attend for three days: $245
- Attend for four days: $300
What’s included in the cost of registration?
- Dedicated, common area for quiet writing for early birds, night owls, sunup-to-sundown marathon writers, and everyone in between
- Catered breakfast and lunch every day of the retreat
- Farewell Thursday-night banquet with cash bar
- All-day coffee and tea service in the common writing area every day of the retreat
- Workshop with agent Kate Schafer Testerman of KT Literary.
- Extensive library of writing books and resources in the common area
- After-dinner open-mic readings in the common area
- Late-night socializing (optional, of course!) in the hotel bar
- The opportunity to meet and spend time with with other writers
- The opportunity to relax and draw inspiration from the gorgeous mountain-town setting of historic downtown Golden, Colorado
- The opportunity to spend five days (Sunday night through Friday morning) focusing solely on just being a writer
What’s not included?
Lodging. Table Mountain Inn has reserved a block of 20 rooms for the retreat at a reduced rate: 15 regular rooms at $139 a night and 5 deluxe rooms at $149 a night. You will be responsible to book your own accommodations directly with the hotel on a first-come-first-served basis. Mention the RMFW retreat when you reserve your room. Unbooked rooms in the block will be released February 17, 2014.
Several 2013 retreat attendees shared a room with a friend to defray costs. Something to consider! Registrants will be added to a Yahoo group so they can all get to know each other before the retreat–a great way to connect with others who would like to share a room.
Also, keep in mind that you don’t have to stay at the hotel. Several people who attended the 2013 retreat drove home each night and still enjoyed their writing time and shared meals at the hotel. Others stayed at the hotel only one or two nights. Whatever works for you!
Quiet Writing Time
We will ask kindly that all attendees be courteous and remember that there is no talking in the common room during quiet writing time. Exceptions to quiet time will be during group meal times, the agent/editor workshop, and the after-dinner open-mic readings. If you’d like to write in your room, outside, in the hotel bar or restaurant, at Starbucks or Higher Grounds (both across the street from the hotel), or anywhere other than in the common room, you are always welcome to slip in and help yourself to the coffee and tea that will be available there throughout the retreat.
What To Bring
- Layers. Colorado weather in the spring can be 80 degrees and sunny, or it can be snowy and cold, so plan to layer your clothing accordingly.
- Walking shoes or hiking boots. Whatever the weather, you’ll want to be prepared to take breaks from your writing to walk around downtown Golden or join others for an impromptu hike in the nearby foothills.
- Laptop, notebook, pens, pencils, story bibles, storyboards, sticky notes, index cards…whatever you need to make progress on your current work.
- A cushion or lumbar-support device, if you have a hard time sitting for a long time. (The hotel made a couple of stand-up workstations available for attendees of the 2013 retreat.)
- Power cord, extension cord, and/or power strip.
- Dictionary, thesaurus, etc. RMFW will make a small library of writing resources available for your reference.
Email Retreat Chairperson Angie Hodapp at email@example.com.